Sudbury Market Town Partnership is proud to support the Sudbury community, and its surrounding villages.
Through our collective hard-work and dedication, since 2004 we have achieved the following:
- Attracted over £400,000 of additional funding for the town
- Created The Talbot Trail – a series of bronze statues around the town, depicting some events from Sudbury’s past, together with a leaflet to guide visitors around the Trail – used by local schools, local residents and visitors
- New town entry signs, and information boards, updated 2014
- Refurbishment of Old Market Place, with new paving, planters, seating and trees and a glass sculpture depicting the area in mediaeval times when it was the ‘beast market’
- Regeneration of Siam Gardens which had been derelict and unused for many years and is now a pleasant area of tranquility in the town.
- Further bronze statues were added in the gardens to celebrate the town’s history as a weaving centre (silk is still produced at three factories in Sudbury), together with information boards tracing the history of weaving in this area (visitors’ leaflet available) – used by local schools, local residents and visitors
- On behalf of Babergh District Council, commissioning a study by the Civic Trust to facilitate a development brief for the area around the bus station (the Hamilton Road Quarter)
- Setting up the Sudbury and District Reward Card to encourage local shopping and a reduction of ‘food/retail miles’
- Setting up Transition Sudbury and District as a sub-group to promote greater understanding of environmental issues, and organise activities which encourage carbon reduction, healthier living and skills-share classes
- Helping to set up the Town Team
- Supporting the local food bank with volunteers and raised funds for them
- Setting up a Community Kitchen as a sub-group to provide food for those in need and demonstrate how to prepare low-cost, nutritious meals.
- Working with Babergh District Council (BDC) to retain three hours free car parking and improve ‘tourist’ signage
- Working with Sudbury Town Council to promote cycling and the creation of local cycle routes.